The Malevolent Mirror (Book 2 of the Pernicious Princess Trilogy) is almost through the proofing stage, but this time I would like to try something new. I am looking for 5 people to be beta readers for me.
This is not your chance to read the book before it comes out. This is a serious commitment and a huge favor to me. I need people who will read with a critical eye, be able to articulate their thoughts clearly, and can get their proofs back to me quickly.
I will be sending out the cleanest, most polished version that I can, so the main idea is not to find typos (although you will, and they need to be caught), but to hopefully give me feedback on the story itself. Remember, I might not choose, or be able, to make the changes that you think necessary, but your input is still valued and helpful. So don’t volunteer for this if your feelings will be hurt if I don’t use every suggestion you make.
In a nutshell, what I want to hear about is: As a reader, what disrupted the flow of the story for you?
These are some questions that I’ve pulled off the web to give you a better idea of what I mean when I say “disrupt the flow.” You don’t need to fill in the blank for each one (although you can). This is just to get your thought process going before you start reading.
Questions about the characters:
- Any confusion on keeping characters straight?
- Did you like the ones you were supposed to like?
- What characteristics endeared them to you?
- What did you dislike about them?
- Did you dislike the ones you were supposed to dislike?
- Did the dialogue seem natural or was it stilted?
- Did any of them feel clichéd?
- Were their actions and thoughts understandable?
Questions about the setting and backdrop:
- Could you clearly see the story settings?
- Which sections needed better, more detailed description?
- Which sections were bogged down with too much description?
Questions about the pacing:
- Where did things move too slowly?
- Where did events feel too rushed?
- Were there events that should have been given their own scenes but weren’t?
Questions about the reading experience:
- Was the opening compelling?
- What page/chapter were you on when you took your first break?
- Did your mind ever wander?
- What made you laugh or cry?
- Were there parts that seemed awkward?
- Is there anything you are still wondering about?
Questions about the plot:
- Was the progression of events believable?
- Where there events that seem like a digression rather than adding to the story?
- Were there holes in the story?
- Did anything happen that seemed unbelievable?
- Did you see the ending coming?
- Was the ending satisfying?
I would like to have your thoughts back to me within two weeks of receiving the ARC (Advanced Reader Copy – whoohoo! Doesn’t that sound professional?!). And, for all your hard work and effort you will receive:
- My undying gratitude and thanks.
- A personal thank you/mention in the dedication to the book.
- A copy of the ebook via Amazon or an epub file (Since I’m putting this as a Kindle Unlimited it won’t be available from B&N, Apple, etc. If you prefer an epub file type I will create a file just for you).
So, sound challenging? If you think you have what it takes, message me your email address on Facebook and let’s get reading! The first five people to answer will be my beta readers for The Malevolent Mirror!